Monday, May 27, 2013

Revisiting an older composition with some new hardware

Lessons Learned

A bit of a break from 23 in '13 for a chance to revisit something I wrote a few years ago. When I initially composed it, it's safe to say that it pushed my computer to its limits: the only way I was able to convince Logic to play it was by bouncing two thirds of the software instruments to disk and purging the samples. Then, editing became annoying because in order to edit, I'd need to reload the samples, and hope the whole system didn't choke. Suffice it to say, it wasn't entirely fun. and I ended up leaving the piece less finished than I would have liked.

Fast forward to now. I just upgraded my system*, and immediately thought about finally tweaking Lessons Learned...and also to see how easily my new system could handle it (which it does without even breathing hard. Six times the RAM and four times the cores helps immensely.). I didn't want to change the overall composition, mainly just the kind of cleaning that is difficult to do when most of the composition is pre-rendered: adjusting notes, fixing rhythms, changing some chord voicings, that sort of thing. Also, I was finally able to add more instrument voicings, the sort of thing that was a pain to do with limited RAM.

As far as the piece itself, it's a bit of a story told in several parts. For fun, here's what I call each section:

1. Home
2. Run!
3. Captured
4. It Just Got Worse
5. The Rescue

*for anyone interested: Mac Mini, 2.3 GHz i7, 16 gigs of RAM, dual 20" monitors, scads of external storage. Life is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment