Thursday, December 6, 2012

Musical Scurvy

I was feeling creatively plugged up yesterday. You know the kind of feeling...when the projects you're working on just aren't moving, no ideas are forthcoming, and you're somewhat grumpy as a result. I just wasn't sure what my damage was.

Today, I was working on some design projects, and listening to some scratch tracks of my songwriting projects from 2008, primarily 80s-ish rock. To my surprise, I was suddenly getting ideas and inspiration left and right to finalize some of those songs....which I did tonight.

Which leads me to the title of this post. I've long known that I love writing in a wide variety of musical styles, so I would think that I'd remember that it's vital that I not focus too closely on one particular project in one particular style. To do so always causes stagnation and burnout, and ultimately makes me less creative as a whole. I liken it to food groups: yeah, you can survive for a while eating just beef jerky, but you'll end up getting scurvy. Likewise, I love the video projects I've been working on, but I have to remember to touch on the other genres I enjoy: musicals, 80s rock, noise, celtic...they all go into the mix to form what I write. To ignore a genre is to ignore a basic part of my creativity, and when that happens...yeah, musical scurvy. Blech.

So anyway, here's the track I was working on tonight. Very 80s-rock, but hey, it's like leafy greens to me. Rock on.

 
She's Running Away (2012 Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment